WeTech believes that providing young women with university scholarships for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) has tremendous impact on women's retention and success rate, especially in a time when the global tech industry desperately needs more women trained for STEM careers. Combining financial support with internships and mentorships gives women an important opportunity to gain real-world experience, access to role models and enhanced technical skills. This holistic package of support further ensures that, upon graduation, young women will elect a technical career and be poised to succeed in their chosen field.
WeTech’s scholarship programs complement IIE’s high-impact scholarship, training, exchange and leadership program and supports IIE’s mission of advancing international education and access to education worldwide.
WeTech Qualcomm Global Scholars Program
The WeTech Qualcomm Global Scholars Program serves as one component of the Qualcomm commitment to helping women and girls enter and succeed in technology careers. Through the various WeTech initiatives, Qualcomm is reaching women and girls at each step along the path from early education to a career in STEM.
The Global Scholars Program awards scholarships to female university students in China, India, Taiwan and South Korea and matches each scholar with a mentor from a Qualcomm global or U.S. office in order to support and encourage the young women to succeed in their chosen fields.
- Promote STEM education and expand opportunities for young women in China,India,Taiwan and South Korea
- Build a future STEM workforce by providing scholarships to female undergraduate students
- Enhance the long-term impact on the scholarship recipients by supporting mentoring as an integral component of the program
The scholarship eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Applicant must be female
- Applicant must be a citizen of the participating countries
- Applicant must be a current undergraduate student in either her second or third year of studies at one of the selected universities
- Applicant must be seeking a degree in Engineering, Computer Science or other STEM-related academic fields
Scholarships will be issued to students from the following universities in Taiwan in the amount of $2,500 USD for the 2016-2017 school year:
- National Cheng Kung University
- National Chiao Tung University
- National Taiwan University
- National Tsing Hua University
Taiwan online application (application deadline November 20, 2016)
Taiwan PDF application (146 KB, PDF) For reference only.
Taiwan application FAQ (130 KB, PDF)
Scholarships will be issued to students from the following universities in South Korea in the amount of $3,000 USD for the 2016-2017 school year*:
- Ewha Womans University
- Sookmyung Womans University
- Hanyang University
- Soongsil University
South Korea online application (application deadline November 20, 2016)
South Korea PDF application (148 KB, PDF) For reference only.
South Korea application FAQ (131 KB, PDF)
*South Korea applicants must demonstrate financial need for an academic scholarship.
The scholarship recipients will also be expected to complete a 6-month virtual mentorship from January through June 2017. Scholars will be matched with experienced mentors from Qualcomm.