In order for an application to be complete and considered for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, students must have the below components submitted:
- Online application with uploaded transcript submitted by the student deadline
- Online study abroad and financial aid advisor certifications submitted by the advisor certification deadline
Late applications will not be considered.
For deadline information please refer to the Deadlines & Timeline page.
Advisors have three options if they would like to become affiliated with the Gilman Scholarship Program:
Study Abroad Certifying Advisor: This advisor has the ability to certify an application submitted by a student at his/her currently enrolled U.S. institution. The advisor must be able to certify the applicant's study abroad program information. This may include the ability to perform limited research on applications that include non-affiliated study abroad programs or a program provided by a third party provider. The person in this role needs to be familiar with international education programming and typically works within an education abroad office, academic advising office or is a faculty member. This individual should have a strong knowledge base of the U.S. institution's education abroad policies a it relates to academic credit and program costs. This advisor may also be invited to participate in the selection process.
Financial Aid Certifying Advisor: This advisor has the ability to certify financial aid information submitted by student at his/her U.S. institution. The advisor in this role is required to work within the applicant's currently enrolled institution financial aid office. This advisor must be able to provide information regarding the applicant's Federal Pell Grant status and the amount of scholarships and grants that the student will be able to apply toward his or her education abroad program. This advisor may also be invited to participate in the selection process.
Non-Certifying Advisor: This advisor primarily promotes the Gilman Scholarship Program on their U.S. institution's campus. This advisor can be registered to receive important updates and invited to serve as a selection panelist. This person can also order outreach materials and view their institution's application(s) progression. This position does not certify applications and can be anyone who works at a U.S. institution who is interested in furthering their campus' involvement with the Gilman Program.
All new advisors will need to create their own advisor account within our portal.
To Create a Gilman Advisor Account:
- Go to the Gilman Advisor Portal. Click the "Register" button on the right navigation menu.
- Enter your contact information and select your own user name and password.
- Select your institution’s state from the drop-down list provided, and then select your institution from the next dropdown list. If you institution is not listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select the appropriate advisor type (study abroad, financial aid, or non-certifying).
- Click the “Create Account Now” button at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have registered, your account will need to be verified by another verified advisor at your institution or by Gilman Program staff before you are active in our system. You will get an automatic email once your account has been activated.
Verifying Account Information:
Before you can view and certify student applications your account must be verified. There are two ways for your account to be verified:
- The Gilman staff will review and verify account information as new accounts are created. Most accounts will be verified by the Gilman Program within 2 business days.
- If your institution already has at least one verified advisor in the system, that verified advisor can login to the application and verify your account.
- To verify another advisor in the system, a verified advisor at your institution should login to the advisor portal. Once logged in, the verified advisor should click on the "Advisors" tab and click on the "Advisors Awaiting Approval" tab. Select "Verify" in order to approve the account.
- Each institution must have at least one certifying financial aid advisor and one certifying study abroad advisor in order to certify student applications.
Certifying a Student’s Application:
- Once your account has been verified, login and select the "Applications" tab along the top of the page.
- Select the "Awaiting Certification" section directly below the tabs.
- Select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu.
- Select the blue certification ribbon next to the student's name when you are ready to answer the certification questions.
- Review and answer the certification questions and submit the page.
What are advisors asked to certify?
The financial aid advisor is asked to verify that the student is currently receiving a Federal Pell Grant (the term that they are applying for the Gilman Scholarship OR the term that they will be abroad) and the estimated amount of financial aid, in grants and scholarships that the student may apply to their international exchange program.
The study abroad advisor is asked to verify that the education abroad program information provided by the student is correct, and that the program they are applying to is eligible for undergraduate academic credit at the student's home university.
Process for certifying applications:
All certifying financial aid and study abroad advisors, once registered and verified, will be available within the applications for students at the same institution to select from the drop-down within their application. All applicants are advised that prior to submitting their application they should contact both the financial aid and study abroad offices to confirm that they are selecting the correct advisors in their application.
Once a student submits the online application, the financial aid and study abroad advisor selected by the student will automatically receive an email. The email will notify you that one of your students has submitted an application. Please be sure to check your spam filters for any emails from the Gilman system.
To certify a student's application, log in to your online Gilman advisor account. Once you have logged in you will be able to view a list of your students who have submitted applications. Click on the ribbon icon to certify the application per the detailed instructions above.
We encourage all advisors to submit certifications as quickly as possible. This ensures timely processing of your student's application and allows time for any questions or issues to be addressed as quickly as possible. For deadline information please refer to the Deadlines & Timeline page.