NEXT DEADLINE TO JOIN: March 1, 2017
As of November 2016, the Generation Study Abroad network has 400 U.S. colleges and universities from across the United States, representing every type of institution, who have already pledged specific and measurable actions addressing the key barriers to study abroad- cost, culture, and curriculum. We are seeing that by setting a goal, results can be achieved. However, if we are truly going to reach our target and shift the paradigm of study abroad from a luxury to a “must-have”, we need many more U.S. higher education institutions to act swiftly and decisively.
We encourage all colleges and universities to set an aspirational goal for the proportion of their students who participate in study abroad.
Institutions that join the commitment agree to:
- Make a pledge to increase the number of their students who study abroad;
- Take actions to undertake new and expanded activities to enable students, who don’t currently participate, to study abroad;
- Share strategies and best practices with the Generation Study Abroad network;
- Update IIE on an annual basis on your activities and progress towards meeting that target;
- Communicate your commitment to your community and on social media using the #GenerationStudyAbroad and @GenStudyAbroad and put a Generation Study Abroad badge on your website.
IIE will support commitment members in the following ways:
- Provide scholarship and grant opportunities for commitment partner institutions and their students;
- Recognize commitment partners on IIE's website and in press releases;
- Provide commitment partners with press and communication materials, including a Generation Study Abroad badge, press release templates, and social media kits;
- Invite Commitment Partners to participate in annual meetings on doubling U.S. study abroad, webinars, national conference calls, and IIE’s Summit on Generation Study Abroad;
- Connect Commitment Partners with study abroad resources and tools to help achieve target and actions
Commitment Partner Spotlights
University of Delaware: Delaware Diplomats Program
Belmont University: Faculty Engagement
Western Michigan University: College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMPS), Mexico
University of Nebraska, Lincoln: Early Abroad Scholarship
Share your pledge highlights with the Generation Study Abroad team at email@example.com.