Many incoming Brazil Scientific Mobility Program grantees will attend a Visa Day (including a Pre-Departure Orientation or PDO). These will take place in four cities in Brazil: Brasilia, Receife, Rio de Janeiro, and Sao Paulo. At the Visa Day, students will
- Receive their forms DS-2019
- Meet representatives from CAPES, IIE, the U.S. Department of State, EducationUSA, and other stakeholders
- Participate in visa interviews in order to receive U.S. J-1 student visas
What to Expect
- All BSMP students must submit a completed application to IIE in order to be placed at a host institution. Students will be notified of their admission to a U.S. host institution in their Terms of Appointment (TOA), which they will receive via email.
- Once students receive their TOA, they must sign and return them to IIE within two days. Please be aware that TOAs are contingent upon university admissions decisions, and therefore will be sent to individual students at different times.
- After IIE has received students' signed TOAs, students will receive a copy of their Form DS-2019 from IIE via email with step-by-step instructions for their J-1 visa application process.
- Students will attend a pre-departure orientation (PDO) and visa interview at Visa Days OR an independently scheduled visa interview and biometric appointment if you were instructed to do so by IIE.
- After their visa interview, students will receive their J-1 visa. The wait time to receive a J-1 visa after a visa interview can vary depending on the consulate. IIE cannot provide exact expected wait times.
Don’t worry if other BSMP students receive TOAs or Forms DS-2019 before you!
You should only attend the Visa Day to which you were invited.
The exact location for the visa day is still being determined. Please check this site later in August for more instructions.
Comercial Bandeira - Av. Herculano Bandeira, 949- Pina
Recife- PE 51110-130
Rio de Janeiro
Edifício Lagoa Corporate – Rua Humaitá, 275- Loja A
Bairro: Humaitá- Rio de Janeiro- RJ 22261-001
(em frente ao bicicletário do Itaú)
Estacionamento restrito no local. Aconselhamos o transporte público.
Av. José Maria Whitaker, 370- Vila Mariana
São Paulo- SP 04057-000
IIE will share a detailed agenda with you by email a few days before your Visa Day begins.
Students Not Attending a Visa Day
All BSMP students are expected to attend a Visa Day unless instructed by IIE to schedule their own visa interview and biometric appointment. Some students may be notified by IIE that they cannot attend a Visa Day because of their university start date.
If you cannot attend a Visa Day, IIE will email you a scanned copy of your Form DS-2019 along with step-by-step instructions to apply for your J-1 visa. IIE will also mail your original Form DS-2019 to your BSMP contact at your university in Brazil. You will need your original Form DS-2019 for your J-1 visa interview.