Program Sponsors

Visa Sponsorship

Graduate students are permitted to engage in Academic Training during the academic year after they have completed a full term (two quarters). Academic Training during the academic year must be directly related to the grantee’s field of study, must take place off-campus, and must be part-time (up to 20 hours per week). Academic Training during the academic year is not a requirement and does not replace Academic Training during the summer, which is highly encouraged.

For all employment and Academic Training opportunities, students must receive work authorization from IIE before accepting an offer of employment and commencing employment.

After completing the first academic semester, graduate students are eligible to bring dependents to the U.S. Dependents are defined as spouses and children under the age of 21.

In order to qualify to bring to a dependent to the U.S., students must:

  • Show proof of marriage through a marriage certificate for a spouse
  • Demonstrate you have sufficient funds: 75% of CAPES stipend for 1 dependent per month, 50% for each additional dependent per month through the duration of your DS-2019
  • Obtain J-1 visa compliant insurance for all dependent(s) and pay for all insurance costs and fees for dependent(s)

Dependents are J-2 visa holders and are eligible to work in the U.S. In order to do so, they must obtain an Employment Authorization Card through USCIS; however, IIE will not aid in this process.

© 2016 Institute of International Education, Inc. All rights reserved.