The SSAT and its Purpose
The SSAT is designed for students who are seeking entrance to independent schools worldwide. It is an admission test designed to measure a student's readiness for a college preparatory independent school program, to predict first-year academic success, and to differentiate between and among applicants.
The SSAT measures broad academic skills that are necessary for success in a college preparatory program - specifically, verbal reasoning, reading comprehension, and mathematics. The SSAT provides independent school admission professionals with meaningful information about the possible academic success of potential students at their institutions, regardless of students’ background or experience.
The SSAT is designed for students in grades 3 through 11 and is administered on three levels:
Each SSAT is divided into five sections: two quantitative (math), one verbal, one reading comprehension, and an unscored writing exercise. The SSAT for grades 5-11 also includes a section of experimental questions that, while unscored, is vital to the development of new tests.
Types of SSAT Administrations
- SSAT "Standard Test" - A Standard test is a group administration held at many sites worldwide on designated Saturdays each year (see Test Calendar).
- SSAT "Flex Test" - A flex test is a group or individual administration on any date other than the standard test dates.
Standard Test (also known as Standard International Test) A Standard test is a group administration held at many sites worldwide on 8 Saturdays each year (see Test Calendar). You may take a standard test as often as you like, up to 8 times per year. You may register online until the Wednesday prior to the test date subject to availability. Additional fees apply for registrations created after regular registration closes.
Test Dates and Deadlines
In Hong Kong, SSAT "Standard Test" will be held on the following Saturdays in the current academic year. Register early to avoid any additional fees and to assure seating at your preferred test center as test centers may fill up quickly.
2014 - 2015 Test Registration Calendar in Hong Kong (Code: H631)
|International Test Date
||Late Registration Begins
||Rush Registration Begins
||Last Day for Test Registration
|October 18, 2014
||October 2, 2014
|November 15, 2014
||October 26, 2014
||November 2, 2014
||November 12, 2014
|December 13, 2014
||November 23, 2014
||November 30, 2014
||December 10, 2014
|January 10, 2015
||December 21, 2014
||December 28, 2014
||January 7, 2015
|March 7, 2015
||February 15, 2015
||February 22, 2015
||March 4, 2015
|April 25, 2015
||April 5, 2015
||April 12, 2015
||April 22, 2015
- Register online before the registration deadlines.
- Late registration: A late fee of US$40 applies.
- Rush registration: A rush fee of US$80 applies.
- Last day for registration ends on the Wednesday before the test date (Except October 2014 test, see deadline above). Walk-in and standby seats are NOT available.
- Registrations and required documentation for Special Accommodations must be received by SSATB two weeks prior to test date.
- Testing normally begins at 9:00a.m (unless otherwise noted).
- Check your admission ticket for exact time. Be sure to arrive 30 minutes early for registration.
- Total testing time for the Middle/Upper level SSAT is 2 hours and 50 minutes, plus two short breaks. Testing time for the Elementary Level is 110 minutes. The addition of any special accommodations will increase the total testing time.
Register for SSAT Standard International Test
For regular international test dates, you may register with SSATB in the United States
The first time you register for the test, you will be asked to create a new SSAT account. This account is for a single student only and will help you manage your test registrations, school inquiries and applications for the current academic year. Note your Web Login ID after creating your account; which you will need to access your account.
Special Testing Accommodations
If you require special testing accommodations for a school-documented disability or require testing on a Sunday because you observe a Saturday Sabbath, you may apply for special test accommodations when taking the SSAT. SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS MUST BE APPROVED PRIOR TO TEST REGISTRATION.
Special accommodations requests related to school-documented disabilities only accepted if valid documentation exists to show that you routinely receive these accommodations in your current school setting. Approval is provided by a school official who attests to the valid documentation on file and attests to the fact that the student routinely receives the approved accommodations in his/her school. Testing accommodations are not approved for temporary disabilities, such as a concussion or broken arm. Valid documentation (for the current academic year) includes:
- Student's IEP
- Student's 504 Plan
- Psychological evaluations or recommendations
PLEASE read through information regarding Special Testing Accommodation on the SSAT webpage
Test Day Essentials
La Salle College, 18 La Salle Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Registration begins at 8:30 am. No test-taker is allowed to enter the testing room before registration.
- Registration documents - test-takers MUST present both their printed admission ticket and their official photo ID (Passport or HKID, or Exit-entry Permit for travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macau) in order to be admitted to take the test. Test-takers who cannot present a valid ID will NOT be allowed to sit for the test and the test fee will be forfeited.
- Testing begins at 9:00 am sharp. The test administration staff has the right to refuse admission to test-takers who arrive after the test has begun.
- What to bring to the test:
- PRINTED SSAT Admission Ticket
- Photo ID*
- HB or #2 Pencils (Not 2B) (no mechanical pencils permitted)
- A snack and/or drink for breaks
- Special accommodations documents (if necessary)
*For Mainland candidates, only "China passport" or "Exit-entry Permit for travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macau" are acceptable. China I.D. card will NOT be accepted. For Hong Kong and overseas candidates, only passport and HKID are acceptable.
SSAT cell phone policy
For test security, cell phones or electronic devices are NOT permitted in the testing room. Any student who requires a cell phone for emergency purposes MUST turn the phone off and leave the phone with proctors during testing. Cell phones will be collected and held by the proctor until all testing has been completed.
Any student observed with a cell phone or an electronic device in their possession during testing will be reported to SSAT and no scores will be processed.
Prohibited Items Policy
The following items are not allowed during the SSAT Examination:
Bags, Dictionaries, Calculators, Calculator Watches, Mobile/Cell Phones, MP3 or other electronic devices, Rulers, Papers, Hats (except for religious reason)
Learn what to do in case of bad weather
The SSAT Flex Test
A Flex Test is a group or individual administration on any date other than the Standard test dates.
- You may only take one flex test in a testing year (August 1 - July 31)
- If you have already tested and do not know what type of test you took, please contact SSAT before continuing.
- You should only register for the flex test if you have already made an appointment with IIE/Hong Kong for a flex test administration
Please read through IIE Hong Kong’s Flex Test Administration Policy carefully:
Register for SSAT Flex Test
- Please call IIE/HK (Tel: (852) 2603 5771) to book for the test date and time. Submit an IIE/HK Flex Test Request Form to schedule an appointment (Late/ incomplete forms and invalid requests will not be processed and may delay testing). Seats are limited. We administer it on a First-come-first-served basis.
- Once you have submitted a flex test request form online, a confirmation email with test details will email to you within 5 working days.
- Register online with SSATB. Make test fee payment of US$239 for your test by credit card. Remember to print out the admission ticket immediately.
- Confirm with IIE Hong Kong after registering with SSATB – After test-takers reserve a test date with IIE/HK, they must go to SSATB website to register with the reserved test date provided by IIE/HK. After registering with SSATB, test-takers MUST send an email to IIE/HK to confirm registering with SSATB. The respective testing slot will be reserved for 5 working days only. Otherwise, the reserved slot will be forfeited without further notice. In addition to the test fee of US$239 payable to SSATB, IIE/HK will charge an administration fee of HK$2,100 (valid till Sep 30, 2014)* for each flex test. You can make payment for this administration fee in one of the following ways:
- Cash: Please note, HK$1,000 note is not accepted
- Check or bank draft: Send a check or bank draft of HK$2,100 (valid till Sep 30, 2014)* payable to the "Institute of International Education." This check or bank draft must be issued by banks in Hong Kong. Any extra bank charge incurred for clearing the check or bank draft will be born by the test takers. The check or bank draft must be received by IIE/HK at least 5 working days prior to your scheduled test.
- Arrive 15 minutes earlier at the test venue on the test day with your admission ticket, photo ID, pencils, and erasers.
A student is permitted to take the Flex Test only ONCE per academic year (August 1 – July 31). Students wishing to retest in the same academic year must register for an internationally scheduled test date.
* The new admin fee HK$ 2,300 will apply starting from October 1, 2014 - September 30, 2015.
Important Policy Update for Flex Test Registration
- Last minute registration – For last minute registrants (those register in the same week of their desired test date), once you reserve a testing slot from IIE/HK, you MUST register on the same date with SSATB and send back an email to IIE/HK on the same day to confirm. Otherwise, the reserved slot will be forfeited without further notice.
- Rescheduling – All registered test-takers for flex test who have registered with SSATB, but need to reschedule before the test, MUST call IIE/HK (Tel: (852) 26035771) 5 workings day prior to the reserved test date to reschedule the test date and/or time. An administration fee equivalent to 10% of the Test Center flex test administration fee will be charged for each re-scheduling. This surcharge is accumulative and will NOT be exempted.
- No show or cancellation – Any test-takers for flex test who has registered with SSATB or IIE/HK, but fail to show up on the reserved test date or cancel the test within 5 working days before the test date, a cancellation fee equivalent to 50% of the Test Center flex test administration fee must be paid to IIE/HK within 14 working days.
Get more information on flex testing from SSATB