International (or internationally mobile) students: Students who undertake all or part of their higher education experience in a country other than their home country or who travel across a national boundary to a country other than their home country to undertake all or part of their higher education experience.
Number of Students Abroad: In general, the number of students from a particular country who leave the country to study abroad either for short- or long-term durations of study at the higher education level; defined by each data source (see specific data sources for details).
Number of Tertiary Institutions: This data reflects the number of higher education institutions in a given country; provided by data sources, where available.
Top Host Destinations The list of top host countries is based on the percent of global market share and based on data provided by data-contributing partners. The list is also cross-referenced against UNESCO and OECD data.
- Undergraduate Degree/Qualification students: those studying abroad toward a degree or qualification awarded by an accredited higher education institution (e.g. B.A., B.S.)
- Undergraduate Study Abroad/Non-award study students: those enrolled in undergraduate courses abroad but not pursuing a degree or qualification from an institution; students participating in short-term study abroad programs; exchange students
- (Post-)Graduate Degree/Qualification students: those studying toward a degree or qualification awarded by an institution in your country (e.g. M.A., M.S., Ph.D.)
- (Post-)Graduate Degree/Qualification coursework students: those enrolled in graduate courses abroad but not pursuing a degree or qualification from an institution; students participating in short-term study abroad programs; exchange students
Fields of Study
- Business and Management: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Personal and Culinary Services; Tourism and related courses
- Engineering: Engineering; Engineering Technologies/Technicians; Transportation and Materials Moving; Construction Trades; Mechanic and Repair Technologies/Technicians; Precision Production
- Physical and Life Sciences: Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Physical Sciences; Science Technologies/ Technicians
- Social Sciences: Social Sciences; Psychology; Public Administration and Social Service Professions; Parks, Recreation, Leisure, and Fitness Studies; Area, Ethnic, Cultural, and Gender Studies; History; Security and Protective Services
- Mathematics and Computer Sciences: Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services; Mathematics and Statistics
- Fine and Applied Arts: Visual and Performing Arts; Music; Architecture and Related Services
- Health Professions: Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Dietetics and Nutrition, Mental Health, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Alternative Medicine, Chiropractic, Podiatry, Medical Assistants and Laboratory Technicians, Public Health
- Education: Teacher Education, Educational Administration, Student Counseling
- Humanities: Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics; English Language and Literature/Letters; Theology and Religious Vocations; Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Agriculture: Agriculture, Agricultural Operations, and Related Sciences; Natural Resources and Conservation
- Other/Unspecified: Liberal Arts and Sciences and General Studies; Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs; Legal Professions and Studies; Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies; Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences/ Communications Technologies/Technicians and Support Services; Library Sciences; Residency Programs